Submit Revealed on June 8, 2021 | Final Up to date on June 8, 2021 by Jenny
Fleas might be an absolute nightmare for each people and pets—itchy days, laundering all the pieces, potential cat well being issues, and perhaps even the costly providers of an exterminator or vet.
The very best cat flea remedy is preventative, so be sure that to repeatedly deal with and check your cat for fleas based mostly in your vet’s suggestions, however there are additionally remedy choices accessible for a full-fledged infestation.
Take a look at the ideas under for stopping and treating fleas on cats.
All merchandise featured on the positioning are independently chosen by the editor of Floppycats, Jenny Dean. Nonetheless, while you purchase one thing by our hyperlinks, we might earn an affiliate fee. You may learn our full disclosure on the backside of the web page.
Testing for Fleas on Cats
Earlier than you begin shopping for costly merchandise to deal with fleas and calling an exterminator, strive some easy exams to see in case you even have a flea infestation in your palms:
- Watch your cat’s habits for elevated grooming, scratching, and hair loss.
- Examine your cat’s pores and skin for bumps or crusts, notably on their again or neck.
- Examine for indicators of motion in your cat’s coat. If you happen to see tiny black spots bouncing off of his or her fur, this implies they’ve fleas.
- Use a fine-toothed flea comb to comb your cat—do that on a white sheet or pillowcase to essentially see any fleas that fall off. Examine the comb for grownup fleas and eggs or flea dust. “Flea dust” are tiny little black specs, which is definitely the flea’s poop. Since fleas eat/drink blood, their poop will flip purple in case you scrap the black specs on a moist paper towel.
One other technique to catch fleas earlier than the infestation takes over is by conducting regular flea tests on your cat. The Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC) recommends just a few steps:
- Take your cat for preventative bodily examinations 1-2 occasions per yr.
- Check your cat for fleas earlier than placing them on a heartworm preventative drugs and afterwards as really useful.
- Do fecal examinations by centrifugation 4 or extra occasions through the kitten’s first yr, then no less than twice a yr for grownup cats relying on their well being and way of life (i.e. indoor vs. outside).
Cat Flea Capsules and Merchandise
Selecting a flea treatment—both as a preventative measure or to kill present fleas—requires contemplating components like value, side-effects, effectiveness, and security. Search for a flea remedy product with both an “adulticide” or an “insect progress regulator” (IGR). The adulticide ingredient will kill grownup fleas earlier than they will reproduce, and the IGR will sterilize eggs in order that the following era of fleas can’t reproduce. So far as the way you give your cat this remedy, there are a number of choices:
[Editor’s note: I use Revolution on my Ragdoll cats, Charlie and Trigg. I only apply it in the warmer months because of where I live – midwestern USA – and do not apply it in winter. I also only apply it once every 6 weeks or so. I do think these topical medications can be toxic – so you need to do what works for you in your home, your area of the country/world and what you feel comfortable with based on your veterinarian’s recommendations. This article is for informational purposes and not for recommendations]
- Spot-ons – Spot-ons are topical medicines utilized to your cat’s pores and skin on a month-to-month foundation. Be certain the liquid dries earlier than you pet or wash your cat, and word that although some declare to be waterproof, frequent baths have a tendency to scale back their efficacy. As your vet for suggestions for spot-on therapies and learn how to use them. Listed here are some distinguished manufacturers and energetic components to ask about:
- Oral Merchandise – Oral merchandise are an interesting possibility as a result of they’re simple to make use of, don’t depart any residue, and supply full protection throughout the cat’s pores and skin.
- Nitenpyram (Capstar) is an possibility for killing grownup fleas, though the results are short-term.
- Spinosad (Comfortis) is a chewable that that kills fleas earlier than they lay eggs and is sweet for a month of safety.
- Injections – Some vets supply a 6-month injection with the energetic ingredient lufenuron, which prevents the event of flea larvae and eggs. It received’t cease grownup fleas from biting your cat, however it could possibly stop an infestation.
- Shampoos – There are various totally different shampoos accessible (simply be sure that no matter you select is labeled secure for cats), however shampoos will solely kill the fleas which are at the moment in your cat, not stop fleas from biting them after the tub.
- Flea Collars – These are interesting as a result of they’re simple to make use of and in recent times have grow to be safer and more practical. Flumethrin and imidacloprid are widespread energetic components (Seresto), so ask your vet about these choices. Nonetheless, flea collars normally should be modified repeatedly (about each 30 days), and a few don’t present ample protection for physique elements furthest from the collar.
Pure Flea Remedies for Cats
In case you are occupied with naturally getting rid of fleas on cats strive just a few of those dwelling cures:
- Rinse your cat with cool water and use a cedar, eucalyptus, lavender, or citrus-infused shampoo—these are identified pure flea repellents.
- Add omega-3 fatty acid to your cat’s food plan to enhance pores and skin well being.
- Comb out the fleas and drown them in soapy water as you go.
- Deal with your property – wash all the pieces and vacuum the ground repeatedly.
- Put salt in your carpet to kill fleas—however provided that you reside in a low-humidity space.
- Plant herbs and vegetation round your own home that repel fleas, corresponding to lavender, eucalyptus, fennel, or marigold.
- Use cedar chips and food-grade diatomaceous earth in your yard.
These choices may help deal with or stop fleas, and so they may also be used along with medical flea therapies in your cat.
In case you are apprehensive about treating your cat for fleas, discuss to your vet about their suggestions and do a cat flea remedy comparability. For extra data on cats and fleas, try our publish “Fleas and Cats—Let’s Discuss”.
What cat flea therapies have you ever used in your kitty which are efficient?