If your cat has been losing hair around their neck, you might be about ready to tear out your own hair trying to find answers. (This question came up over on Facebook.) There are numerous totally different causes cats may be losing hair around their necks, which vary in levels of seriousness. Right here some potential causes to research:
- An irritating collar
- Food plan (dry cat meals)
- Meals allergy symptoms (many purebreds are allergic to rooster, grains, and typically fish)
- A very unhealthy pollen season inflicting seasonal allergy symptoms
- Flea allergy symptoms
- Flea drugs irritating the again of the neck
- A response to a drug
- Hormonal imbalance or glandular issues
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Mange – attributable to a cluster of ear or pores and skin mites
- Pemphigus Foliaceus – an autoimmune illness that manifests hair loss and pores and skin irritation
In case your cat is shedding their hair, listed below are just a few potential cat hair loss therapies to strive:
- Put apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and dab it on the itchy spot.
- Be certain they’re on flea management.
- Immunotherapy for allergy symptoms.
- Give them colloidal silver or put it on them.
- Keep in your your vet to run allergy exams. Some therapies your vet may advocate embody particular shampoo, steroids, a shot of Prednisone, Atopica, or Apoquel.
- Get a biopsy to rule out extra critical cat well being issues.
- Altering diets
- Swap to moist meals (or at the least 50/50) weight loss plan.
- Strive a novel protein weight loss plan, like rabbit.
- In the event you strive totally different diets, your cat will have to be on a weight loss plan for at the least a month to find out whether or not or not they’re allergic to it.
Strive primary options like checking on their collar or altering their weight loss plan first, but when the hair loss doesn’t go away, the perfect factor to do is to speak to your vet and see what exams or therapy they advocate.
Have you ever ever handled hair loss in cats across the neck? What was the trigger? What therapies did you utilize? Share right here!
Pin it right here!